Dating back to the 1700s, the Roger Sherman Inn was originally called the Mitchell-Bond House. It was named after the Reverend Justus Mitchell, the fourth minister of the Congregational Church of Canaan Parish, who built it, and after William Bond, a New York financier who bought it in 1868 and remodeled and expanded the house to its present size.
In 1925 the private residence was turned into the Holmewood Inn. A carriage house with ten more guest rooms was added. After the Inn changed hands several times, it was renamed Roger Sherman Inn after the famous Connecticut patriot, who had the distinction of being the only delegate to the Continental Congress to sign all four of the key documents of the Revolutionary period. He later became the first mayor of New Haven and one of Connecticut’s first United States Senators.
Roger Sherman’s niece, Martha, wife of the Reverend Justus Mitchell, lived in the house from 1783 until 1806.Her father, the Reverend Josiah Sherman, was a chaplain of the 7th Connecticut Line Regiment during the Revolutionary War. Her younger brother, Roger Minott Sherman, who would become a prominent Connecticut lawyer, judge and legislator, was prepared for Yale University at the school established by Reverend Mitchell in their home.
There are two murals hanging in the main dining room of the Inn. The murals are part of a series of “Views of the American War of Independence,” created by Alsatian wallpaper magnate, Jean Zuber, in the 1850s. Zuber used his own earlier American landscapes as backdrops for these handsome and fanciful martial scenes. His wallpaper may also be seen at The White House in Washington, D.C.
Its current owners, restaurateurs Joseph & Nes Jaffre, purchased the Inn in 2008 and have since been making graceful, yet elegant, renovations and updates to the already exceptional landmark bed & breakfast. The Inn also serves as a fine dining French Restaurant, rated “Excellent” by the New York Times, with a Bar Lounge featuring live entertainment three nights a week!